The Shift lead serves as the primary representative for the medical support team during his/her shift. The shift lead is responsible for providing support, training and oversight of all medical support staff while on duty to ensure the highest quality veterinary emergency care is provided to our patients and clients.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Lead and direct the ER department’s medical support team. Overseeing shifts are properly staffed and optimized for maximum efficiency all the while ensuring excellence in care and services being provided.
- Efficiently orchestrates the flow of the ER floor by directing and delegating tasks at the same time preserving the highest level of client and patient care.
- As the liaison to the doctors, ascertains all patient and client needs are meet in a timely manner.
- Handles any immediate client concerns if a manager is not readily available.
- Provides guidance, coaching and assistance in resolving employee conflict and issues. As needed, the Shift Lead will elicit additional support from the technician supervisor and/or the Hospital Administrative direction on escalated concerns/issues.
- With input from the doctor(s), determines when and if the on call technician should be called and how long they will be needed.
- Employing good judgment, utilizes down time for cleaning and training personnel. Adjust staffing levels to align with shift and business needs and send personnel home when appropriate.
- Assist the technician manager in regards to finding a replacement should another technician call out.
- Adheres to all Pet+ER policies and protocols through comprehensive understanding and application.
- Complete maintenance and bi-annual training of assigned project area to technicians and assistants. Keeps all literature, stock and equipment current in assigned area.
- Improves and progresses with professional development. Leverages improved knowledge and skills and openly engages medical support staff to assist in project areas and training.
- Sends weekly activity reports to technician supervisor and hospital administrator.
- Attend monthly shift lead meetings with HA and technician supervisors.
- Prepare and present CE at Tech/Asst meeting.
- On a rotating basis, assists with 1 wellness clinic per year.
- Participates in a minimum of 1 Pet ER community event per year.
- Responsible for championing two team build days annually.
- Contributes to the professional development and training of new technicians and assistants.
- Takes part in the assistant to technician training program.
- Attend 3 leadership meetings per year on a rotating basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Superior level of veterinary technician proficiency with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- A team player with exceptional interpersonal skills able to communicate with diverse personalities in a tactful, mature, and flexible manner
- Capable at establishing professional relationships. Assists in developing and implementing hospital best practices.
- Ability to provide high quality patient care and client services. Represents the Pet+ER in a professional manner.
- High energy level, comfortable performing multiple tasks in conjunction with day-to-day activities, self-starter willing to take initiative.
- Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment. Effective at conflict resolution.
- Knowledge and proficiency of Microsoft Office programs and common business applications/software.